Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Symbian review by Adam Hill


Ok so Kami  asked me to review the Symbian for the blog . So here goes .

First off how about the vital statistics

Shape                                   Symetrical          

Length                                 41.6” – 106cm

Width                                   10” – 25.4cm

Wheelbase                         From 30.5”-77.5cm to 31.3”-79.5cm

Nose/ Tail                           From 2.7” – 6.8cm to 3.1”-7.9cm (changes with wheel base obviously)

Construction                      9ply Canadian Maple

Profile                                  Rockered 0.75”/ 1.9cm

Concave                               0.75”-1.9cm

Flex                                       Stiff





How I set it up

Dropped thru

I like to have mine setup on Sabres with double Sabre orange X-type cones , and rolling on Cult Classics . Short Wheelbase .

 Top mounted

 I go for an Indy 215 or Krux 10” (don’t think they make them anymore) again with double orange X-type  Sabre bushings but rolling on Cult Converters rather than Classics . Short Wheelbase .

Ok so the geeky numbers and setup details are out of the way how does it feel under foot .

First off I really like the ability to adjust the wheelbase so  I can set it how I want it . Short Wheelbase all the way for me .  I like the shorter wheel base as I find it helps me to get things snapped sideways a bit quicker .

I really find the standing platform is a natural fit for me , my feet lock perfectly into the hips .  These hips are so good . They are  developed by the combination of concave and rocker . Which if you then combine with the shape top edge of the rail . You get  all the control you could want . This locked in feel really gives you the confidence to hack into a standy  or speed check without fear of loosing your footing . However it’s not obstructive if you want to move your foot around . I hate it when you have a ton of grip but can’t adjust your feet quickly when you need to .



The deck is nice and stiff so there is minimal flex and torsional twist .  I find this really helps slides to be a lot smoother and help to reduce wheel chatter .  Sorry I know loads of people out there really love a flexy deck but at speed they are horrible . This also means Symbian can handle a bit of  speed . Don’t get me wrong I won’t be swapping it for my Vandella or Sequel anytime soon but I would happily go bomb a hill on it .

I would seriously recommend the Symbian to anyone looking to get into longboarding as it acquits itself well within a few different disciplines . It’s a great freerider that can handle some hill bombing , and makes for a good flatland freestyler too . So with one board you can try out more or less the full range of riding experinces longboarding has to offer and see what floats your boat .  

It also makes a great board for the accomplished rider too as it is a well constructed and shaped Freeride deck that you can really push to the limit . I have been using and abusing mine for quite a while now and it is holding up really well .

 The Symbian is also good option for the flatland freestylers out there amongst you . As it has fully functional kicks on the nose and tail . This helps to make the board snap up into your hands a lot easier for your Tiger claws , big spins , and finger flips etc . The kicks make shovits , manuals , ollies , and such  a lot easier too .

As for the Graphic ....well you don’t ride the graphic but we all like having something pretty to look at right .  Personally I really like the art work on the Symbian it’s a bit of a trippy design  with the foil details which really help make the whole thing ping and come to life .   It’s a design done by artist Jethro Haynes  check out his work on his website http://www.jethrohaynes.com/  .



If you folks have any question about the Symbian I’ve not covered in this review please contact  me via email adam@lushlongboards.com and I will do my best to answer any questions you may have .

No comments:

Post a Comment